Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Me & Conference



Every 6 months my church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, aka Mormons, lds.org) holds a GIANT meeting, and by giant I mean 4 two hour long meetings 5 for the men, so that everyone can listen to the leaders of the church speak to us things that God would have us know. We call this General Conference.





Around this time, either the beginning of April or October, Mormons tend to be a little crazy. Doing stuff out of the norm. Which is what I found to be interesting!

What I am seeing, especially right now since this last weekend was conference, is that there is an exceeding amount of Mormon pride. Which is great and wonderful! But I guess what I am having a problem with is why is this an occurrence only every 6 months, or when a nearby temple is dedicated, or when an apostle is in the area. Why aren't we showing our "pride" everyday?

Let me be straight with you. I am NOT perfect! I know hard to believe. I hope you were sitting down. Sorry to break the new to you this way. But it is true. HOWEVER, I do STRIVE to be as Christ-like (perfect) as possible. It may not be easy, but what He asks is simple. Follow Him. Something that did stand out to me this conference was when Thomas S. Monson (President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) spoke about his encounter with a women when he was in Jerusalem. And how great she felt having potentially walked where Jesus walked. He told her,"That it is not so much important to walk where He walked, as to how He walked." I thought this was very powerful. For me, as much as it would be a cool experience to see where Jesus lived, that is not as important. I need to be living my life as Christ lived His. "Walk in His footsteps" so to speak.

I guess what I am saying is that showing the world how you live, and who you are, and who you want to become should not be a semi-annual thing. It should be something that is everyday through out the rest of your life!

<3

Also if you want to know I think my favorite talk was given by Dallin H. Oaks. He spoke about being kind to everyone. I could definitely work on being kinder(? more kind).

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/watch/2014/10?lang=eng&vid=3821076714001&cid=4


1 comment: